Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Scherenschnitte


This is my last darling card creation that I made as thank yous for my birthday.


This was my inspiration. I found these darling pieces at a garage sale and now they hang in my pink room. They are an example of an amazing German folk art called scherenschnitte, which means paper cutting in German, where a single sheet of paper is cut into beautiful scenery using tiny little scissors, and usually no pattern. My examples are of Hansel & Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood. The detail is incredible.


I wanted to get the same look but with a lot less detail, of course. I started by stamping this sweet little fairy-tale-esque deer onto black paper with a craft ink, and sprinkiling it with clear embossing powder.

Then I heated the EP. This will not show in the final project, so the color of the ink or EP is not important. It will only help you to see the image on the black paper and the EP also makes the paper thicker so that it is sturdier when you cut the details.
Cut it out carefully. I find it is easier to cut the tricky places, like between the legs first so that you still have paper to hold onto when you cut around the thin legs.

The branches are just punched out.

The oval and frame were run through the SU Big Shot with the scallop oval die, and the pink background was also run through the Big Shot in an embossing folder. (Yep, I LOVE my Big Shot!)


The tiny pink butterfly was also die cut, but could also be punched from a butterfly punch.


Finally the black scallop border on top was punched with a border punch.


The deer was turned over and glued so that the embossed side was down, then the branches were glued down.

I just love this sweet scherenschnitte style card!

1 comment:

  1. I have found the exact cuttings shown above of Hansel and Gretal, as well as Little Red Riding Hood. Can you give me any idea of their value? Truly lovely pieces.

    ReplyDelete