Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Candle

Last night at our women's meeting my friend Myra told us about her favorite Christmas tradition. She has a tall candle that is marked with numbers from 1 to 25, top to bottom. It is an advent candle. Every evening the family comes together, lights the candle, and spends the time it takes for the candle to burn down to the next number singing Christmas carols, reading scriptures and Christmas stories, or other Christmas activities. She says she loves this tradition, because in this especially busy season, it gives their family an opportunity to all get together and focus on the true meaning of Christmas and the birth of our Savior, even if for just a few minutes each evening.

Well, I absolutely LOVE traditions, especially easy and meaningful ones, and since yesterday was Dec. 1st, I was anxious to get started right away on this one. Since I didn't have the store-bought candle that she had, I improvised. When I got home last night it was already pretty late. I quickly found a fun candy cane striped candle I had found on clearance last year. It is 12 inches tall. So I grabbed a ruler, and with a Sharpie marker made markings down the candle every 1/2 inch. I could have numbered them, but I didn't bother. I had my very own advent candle, and I think it looks pretty terrific, if I do say so myself.

We had our few minutes of Christmas songs and stories while the candle burned down last night before the kids got to bed. It worked out perfectly.

Thanks for the great idea, Myra! This tradition is a keeper!

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try it myself. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - it's a fantastic tradition! I am hoping to get a candle in the next few days... we'll have to have one really long burning night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool blog. Love the candle idea and love your new etsy store. I am very impressed with you. Can't wait for more posts. :)

    ReplyDelete