Friday, July 2, 2010

Star of Independence!

Attic Gal Rachelle says:

As I was decking my halls with flags and buntings this morning (more on that in a later post), I got an itch to make something new for the 4th. And when I get the itch to create, I will keep itching and itching, and there is no cure but to sit down and make something.


I had some tin stars that I had collected super-duper cheap after Christmas. I can't pass up cool stuff like that - I know I can come up with something cool to do with them. I wanted to decoupage them with something patriotic, and what better for the Independence Day than the document that started it all, The Declaration of Independence. My kids happened to have a life-size copy in one of their books, so I took it to the copier and copied parts of it on some off white paper.


Then I made a template of one of the rays of the tin star, and used it to strategically cut 5 out of the copies.

Then I decoupaged it onto the tin star. I found that the decoupage glue was spearing the copier ink on the papers, so I figured out to put the decoupage glue on the tin star, and then on the back of the paper, but not the front. Then, to protect the front, I sprayed it with an acrylic sealer.


Then I ran glue along the edges, and finished each star with vintage-looking glitter.

The smaller star was originally a tree topper, but we don't need a tree anymore!

I just set the larger one in a vignette among some delicious apothecary jars.




Thank goodness for that darn creative itch!

I hope you a lucky enough to be afflicted with that same condition. If you are, the only cure is a good creative project, believe me!


Now pop on over to the Shabby Nest to see some other Frugal Friday posts, to Tidy Mom to see some I'm Lovin' It - Patriotic Style, and to Fingerprints on the Fridge. (Careful, it just might make you itch!)

1 comment:

  1. This is just gorgeous! If I might make a suggestion, why not post some of your projects on the Just a Girl Blog. Every Friday you can post them. Your projects are too lovely not to! My Romantic Home also posts projects on Fridays. Loved your shelves too!

    ReplyDelete