Thursday, August 6, 2009

From Ho Hum to Wow!

Attic Gal Rachelle says:

While I was visiting Santa Fe with my family last week, I happened upon a camera store, and since I have become somewhat of a amateur photographer as of late, I slipped inside.  The lady there was very nice and suggested I try a circular polarizing filter for my camera.  I had heard of them, and understood already the concept behind them (how they cut glare by blocking out all light waves except those traveling in one direction), but had never actually tried one.  So on a whim I said, "I'll take it."  I was a bit surprised when it rang up to be over $100!  "Oh my," I thought, "It better be worth it,"  and slipped out into the sun with my new purchase in place.

Just a few minutes later I came upon this great old church and took a picture.  Then remembering my new polarizer, I simply turned the filter and took another shot.

Wow!  I was shocked at the difference, even viewed from my small camera screen.  Before, the picture did not capture the great colors and textures that I saw with the naked eye.  But as soon as I applied the polarizing filter, the old church really popped!  The cross became much more visible, and the interesting old textures were clearer (I am a texture buff!)  Pretty exciting, if you ask me!

Here is that same "after" photo with the colors digitally punched up a bit.  I just love how it turned out!


Here is another view of that same church before a twist of the polarizing filter, with the filter, and with the colors digitally enhanced.  Spectacular difference!

Within minutes I knew I had made a wise purchase.  That filter was the only souvenir I bought on that trip, but the pictures I brought home that I took with my new filter are priceless!

I just love a new toy!

No comments:

Post a Comment