Saturday, June 5, 2010

Painted Pianos

About a year ago, my friend Sue offered me a baby grand piano (my dream) for FREE. The piano was so scuffed up and looked pretty bad. The insides were good but I couldn't get over the aesthetics of the piece. Plus, I owned a piano -- not a pretty one -- but a piano nonetheless.

I mulled it over in my head for a long time but realized that I'm not too quick about getting projects done and I wouldn't want this big, scuffy, piano sitting in my front room crying out for years to be redone. Plus, I have no clue how to refurbish a piano. I called the Furniture Medic to find out how much to have someone else do it. He said $5,000. Might as well purchase a new one.

Begrudgingly, I called Sue back and said "No". Ugh!!!!

Wouldn't you know about a month later I started coming across blogs that showcased how they painted their pianos. Never thought about it. I did laugh with Rachelle about french pasting that free baby grand but never thought it would look so good painted. Check this one out at the Pennington Point:



So awesome.

Saw this idea again tonight and thinking that maybe I should paint the one I have. Some day. Moral of the story, if you ever have an opportunity to receive a free, good working piano, don't pass it up. There are options.

4 comments:

  1. I came to your blog a few minutes ago to comment on the piano. Then I got sidetracked by those adorable cupcakes and went away in love and inspired to make something cute in my kitchen. I am so glad I came back! LOL!

    I say go for the piano painting. It hasn't changed the sound at all. Of course, the piano teacher hasn't seen it yet. She may have a fit the next time she comes to our house to teach my kids' lessons. Oh well, that's what she gets for taking 6 weeks off.

    I'm really enjoying your blog. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK girl. Next time I won't let you walk away from a good thing if you promise to get to the project right away. Your baby grand is out there somewhere.

    It was sure fun saleing with you this morning! Oh the stories we could tell. Lets do. I'm sure our favorite attic diggers would love to hear. Good finds = good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to do this! I also have something for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete